by Jean Di Carlo-Wagner, M.A., survivor, advocate
C-IAYT, E-RYT200, E-RYT500
Yoga teachers working with cancer patients and those in long-term treatment, are very special yoga teachers, indeed!
Teaching yoga for cancer patients requires specialized skills.
It also requires in-depth, and ongoing learning in the areas of:
1) research on cancer, it causes, types and treatments
2) advanced understanding of anatomy, physiology, psychology
3) safe and effective breathing for strength, relaxation, and pain control
4) wide array of meditation techniques for anxiety, pain control, sleep, ease of well-being
5) yogic principles and philosophy
In order to support survivors, you need to be guided in developing skills in all these areas. This is the science of teaching yoga to cancer patients. The art of taking the information and putting it into skillful use is the goal of this training.
The Art & Science of Teaching Yoga for Cancer Patients and Survivors teacher training course has three sections.
Part I: The Cancer Dilemma 30CEU’s
Part II: Diving Into Solutions: Gaining Knowledge & Practical Applications 35CEU’s
Part III: Putting It Altogether 35CEU’s.